which tekkit will we run

A forum specifically for talk about the Tekkit server.

Moderators: Minecraft Mods, Minecraft Admins

which tekkit will we run

Postby Karaktar » Sun May 12, 2013 5:47 pm

i know this is a little premature however i brand new tekkit has come out and according to the devs it will be the only one consistantly updated so i find my self wondering will we use the new one the old one or the older still one lol

a quick note the newest one no longer uses bukkit in favour of sourceforge im not at this time sure in what way this might effect the decision however i really like the new one so far i already went to the moon lol and found aliens lol oh and guess what the moon really is partly made up of cheese who would have thought i guess nasa had it wrong all along
lol
Still here and Proud. I am the enigma that enigma's hide from. Hard to know impossible to fully comprehend neither here nor there but always where i am needed.
not the alpha or the omega but the omlpha. to know me at all you must know yourself -Kar
Karaktar

Re: which tekkit will we run

Postby pfleegore » Sun May 12, 2013 7:38 pm

So uh.. two things.

1) I'm not one to be a grammar nazi or anything, but holy cow man, at least sprinkle in a period from time to time.

2) The new Tekkit is substantially different, they completely gutted EE and changed quite a bit in the other mods. I could be wrong but I'm guessing to actually get it running would mean starting a fresh world.

As much as I'm a fan of Tekkit and other mods that add things to the game, no one logs on that server anymore. Personally, I am WAY more interested in getting the new server setup and actually having people to play with again. Getting all these mods setup and tested is a HUGE effort, and people seem to forget that.

I'm not saying I don't like the idea of having some of these mods, but seeing these threads about getting the new Tekkit, or adding Thaumcraft, or invisibility player riding mods just kind of rubs me the wrong way.
pfleegore
Sportin' Wood
Sportin' Wood

Postby Karaktar » Sun May 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Well i have on multiple occasions apologized for my lack of grammar and even gone as far as to explain the reasons behind my lack of grammar I will yet again apologize for my lack of grammar very sorry I didn't tell you when to breath

As for the rest of your post regarding my post about tekkit the new the old and the older still I hope you understand that the purpose of a forum is open discussion no one that I know of is at the moment saying we should do this or that right now it is simply out there for discussion if anyone would care to discuss it I do apologize if open discussion offends you however I don't see how any of these posts detract from the on going work of testing and making ready the survival server

In summation sorry my post offended probably gonna happen again (as my brain is always ten steps ahead of where I am) so I will say sorry in advance

Hope you can forgive me impudence and I look forward to seeing you soon on the soon to go live survival server

Oh and one more quick sidenote no one logs onto the old tekkit server for 2 main reasons one it's outdated two we are working on testing the up coming server
Still here and Proud. I am the enigma that enigma's hide from. Hard to know impossible to fully comprehend neither here nor there but always where i am needed.
not the alpha or the omega but the omlpha. to know me at all you must know yourself -Kar
Karaktar

Postby Openminded » Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 pm

The tekkit server isnt available at this time due to focus on server testing.

The tekkit server may be a new world anyways ( yet to be decided ).

Request to review newer version of tekkit is duly noted.

The requests for addons to the server was requested by pete, and thus people are doing as asked by bringing up suggestions.

NO suggestion will slow down the testing or release of the new servers.

If you are eager for a new server, please fill out white listing request and come help us test!
Openminded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pfleegore » Sun May 12, 2013 11:28 pm

First off, sorry if the grammar comment hit a nerve, was meant more as a joke to lighten up what I figured would otherwise be a somewhat drab and negative post.

As far as the rest of the post, sorry if it came off negative. I've been out of town on work most of the weekend and probably wasn't in the best of moods to go trying to communicate with other people. I've started typing a better way to explain this about 3 times now and I'm too exhausted to do it right, it boils down to I'm sorry and should have kept my mouth shut. I guess I missed the post where Eagle requested new mod ideas and assumed some "SNS syndrome" nagging, etc etc.

Sooo.. with that out of the way, to actually talk about the new version of Tekkit a bit. The fact that it is so new makes me nervous, I just don't get the feeling the Tekkit team really knows where they want to go. They made some dramatic changes and I've read in a few places that they intend to make even more. Like I mentioned before, I really have no idea how well an existing world would port over to the new version.

On the upside, I will say they seem to be moving in the right direction though. The major problem I saw with the existing Tekkit is how hard it was to balance it out and prevent it from ruining an economy. They seemed to recognize that as they took out a ton of stuff from EE. That said, I don't think they are done balancing it and there is still a ton of ways to abuse some of those mods. I'm also a little concerned about the lag of tekkit, it always ran pretty poorly and I'm not sure if they made any improvements with this new release or not.

Given those things and how quick the population died out on the current Tekkit server I think I would lean more towards exploring other options. I've heard Thaumcraft and Feed the Beast are interesting but I haven't played them myself. A skybox server could also be fun and add an interesting challenge to things without needing the big hard to manage mod packs.
pfleegore
Sportin' Wood
Sportin' Wood

Postby Openminded » Mon May 13, 2013 1:39 am

No negitivity was taken or given.

At the top of every forum sub page you will find an announcement labled "Eagleworld's Remake - Suggestions Wanted!! "

Please feel free to read it and speak up. I would love to hear your feelings on the new servers and the future of Minecraft.

This goes for anyone reading this post. Please make a suggestion on that forum.
Openminded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Karaktar » Mon May 13, 2013 2:35 am

its ok plfee you did hit a nerve with the grammar comment i hope i didnt come across to hard its just well its been mentioned many times and i really have tried to accommodate ppl that way ie by separating into paragraphs so as to make reading and following my posts easier

it bothers me that i just cant grasp grammar but considering that i can barley write at all out side of using a computer i consider my self to be doing quite well its not that i am not intelligent on the contrary i believe i am quite intelligent just not when it comes to writing i read at a university lvl and have since grade 6 (even when i read i find punctuation annoying but thats just me) so im sorry if you felt attacked by me

now as to your thought on the newest tekkit i too share some concerns about there direction however it appears that the main reason for the big changes was the slow death of 2 of the major mods ic2 and redpower while redpower is not really dying just not getting updated fast enough to keep up with the rest of the mods and ic2 hasnt seen a public release since tekkit lite

the changes to ee were very necessary agreed and from what i see so far in my reading and playing it looks to be a promising step forward i haven't at this time seen anything that would suggest exploitation but that is a danger not only with tekkit but minecraft in general

what i have seen however is a shorter learning curve then ever before everything ties into each other almost seamlessly where as before one would need to start with one mod and then slowly learn the others making it so that by the time you got it all down things changed again

so far the only thing i really miss is the redpower microblocks and im not really happy with the power generation but im still looking into that most of it is buildcraft of which i never was a fan of all though thermo expansion seems promising if i can just get it figured out without blowing my self to kingdom com lol

all in all i think by the time we are ready to move on to the tekkit side the newest one would imo be our best bet as at least we know they have made a commitment to keeping it up to date ( which they said in the interview after the trailer)

oh and as for the lag i think its getting better i find my self running with more options as of latest build allocating more memory through the launcher helps alot too also alot of lag before was from matmos and other mods that are gone now
and it seems they fixed alot of the bc pipe issues still not as good a rp tubes but meh its a trade off for better updating
Karaktar

Postby EagleRock » Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 am

Okay, I'll add my thoughts here. There's several posts I have to catch up on, so I won't address anyone in particular, but rather address the topics in this thread as a whole.

First off, in regards to grammar: it has been proven that intelligence and grammar do not have a correlation. BigX, for example, has extremely poor grammar, yet the guy is a mechanical genius. While I'm not privy to Kar's personal life, his creations on Tekkit alone show is intelligence and ability to learn. I don't think anyone was insinuating anything different in the thread, so I say we leave it at that.

Second off, in regards to SNS Syndrome, holding up the Survival Server building, and all that stuff, there's no need to worry. I would rather people speak up and say their peace rather than not. The entire purpose of these forums are to handle such discussions. In fact, I'm glad people are using the forums at all. Makes me glad I spent the time to set it up.

My issue with SNS Syndrome is not what's going on here...I invite your conversations and thoughts and opinions. My issue is more when I am on the Minecraft server trying to play the game for a bit and I get bombarded with people asking "when's the server going to get updated," "when can we get this plugin setup," and all that kind of stuff. That hasn't happened for a while, though, thankfully. I'd say SNS Syndrome on this server has died off, at least for now until we get new blood around.

Point is, don't be afraid to voice questions or opinions, especially here. If I don't want to deal with a particular issue at the time, I have full ability to simply avoid the post until I'm ready. Therefore, never be afraid to speak up.

Now, finally, on to the topic of Tekkit. My initial plans were to update Tekkit Classic to Tekkit Lite when the Survival server was mature and stable. I was going to keep the map and upgrade it, as the majority of the items would carry over (with only a few lost items). With this latest release to the newest Tekkit, that kind of threw my plans a curveball. The new Tekkit focuses on completely new plugins, with some old major ones (like IndustrialCraft) completely out of the picture. This is going to severely affect our ability to migrate from Tekkit Classic to "The New Tekkit" without a map change.

I agree with the majority of what Kar stated, but the fact is people did NOT stop playing on the Tekkit server because we were focusing on the survival server. They stopped way before that, because they were getting SNS about the new stuff in Vanilla Minecraft (which I don't blame them for, either). Tekkit was very stagnant when it comes to updates, and that ultimately drove people away.

After vanilla Minecraft received multiple updates, we had two major camps on Eagleworld: those who were tired of Tekkit and looked to Vanilla again, and people who were convinced Tekkit had so much to offer that Vanilla gameplay would never be able to compare again. The latter of the two camps is the smaller, but they are both there.

Honestly, I wanted to do away with Tekkit completely, as it is so much of a hassle to maintain. I thought it would be easier to handle because it's all in one big package with little maintenance, but I was very wrong. Tekkit is highly unbalanced, requires constant attention and babying to keep alive, and is so much more resource intensive than Vanilla. Newer versions of Tekkit might be different, but I can't say for sure. The only reason I'm keeping it around at all is I'm respecting the requests of people that still want to play on it.

The takeaway here is that I want to focus on Survival, as Open said. I want a stable and up to date server ASAP. Once we have that, we can advertise and bring some fresh blood onto the server. After that, I will consider upgrading Tekkit Classic to the latest Tekkit. I will probably have to do it on a different map, though, because of the large changes. If I can keep the map, I will, though.
EagleRock
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Postby Melany23 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Not gonna lie, I skimmed through a lot of this and decided to post my opinion.

I think we should trash the idea all together. Maybe look at it down the line. If people wanted to play tekkit they would be. For months neph and I would log on after reading things on the blog and the only real activity was radio. We will soon have a new server with new fun stuff to play with. Why put that extra work on Peter when no one is gonna play?
BAAAaaaa
Melany23
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Karaktar » Mon May 13, 2013 7:03 pm

it occurred to me just now that i may not have mentioned properly at least that at this time i am unable to log into and help test the survival server i am filling in for missing drivers and as such am relying on mobile network data for internet connection and as such the data requirements of playing on a server are such that it is simple not feasible for me to do that so instead im am wandering from this to that looking for other ways to help

since there is not much outside of server testing that i can do i have started looking ahead to things we might need later on down the road that i can start now which is why i ended up posting about tekkit as i figured at some point in time we will have to cross that bridge and the more we know about its current incarnation the better and faster we will be able to make an informed decision as to the direction we take

i will say at this time i am neither for or against making a tekkit server along side the survival as more research is needed before i can form a real objective opinion

so for the mean time i guess thats what i will be doing

unless of course anyone has a better suggestion as i really do want to contribute

i hope this clears up any confusion as to my motives for looking into and posting about the new tekkit
i really had no idea the can of worms i was opening by starting this thread
Karaktar

Next

Return to Tekkit Server Forum