Plans for Capitol City

The forum specifically for Capitol City.

Moderator: Minecraft Admins

Plans for Capitol City

Postby EagleRock » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Here's just a quick overview for the plans I have for Capitol City for those are interested in joining the town or building there. Ideas are welcome, of course:

Spawn Point

The spawn point is featured at the northern border of Capitol City. The building is done in the architectural stylings of turn-of-the-century New York and Chicago. An example building of inspiration is the 1897 Stewart Building from Chicago (long since demolished).

The spawn building (not yet named) will feature information about the server going down the stairs, similar to the Petros Tower in the Tekkit Server. It is not particularly tall or impressive, as those will be reserved for Downtown.

Capitol Lake

Capitol Lake is centered in the middle of Capitol City. It will be fashioned into a park. The park will be surrounded by building and highway, but the park in the middle will be kept natural, except for some embellishments, such as park benches, trees, and maybe some pathways.

Government District

The Government District will be immediately Southeast of the Spawn Tower, just west of the highway. This will be the location where Town Hall, the Police Precinct, Capitol Building, and others will reside. It will be very "urbanized," as in very little grass will be around, but will be sparser than other districts.

I have plenty of ideas for these buildings, but I will get to them later, as I have other pressing issues to deal with first to get the server 100%.

Historical District (Marketplace)

Immediately Southeast of the Spawn Tower (East of the highway, north of Capitol Lake) will be the Marketplace District. The stores in Capitol City will be fashioned after storefronts from 1920's all around New York City, such as found in Hell's Kitchen, Little Italy, Chinatown, the Lower East Side, Bensonhurst, or Brooklyn Heights. Here is an example, as seen in Brooklyn, and as seen in the Lower East Side.

The buildings will be up against one another in traditional townhouse fashion, with adjoining walls and dense construction. The lower level (and basement) will be furnished as a storefront, with upper levels as a residence. The use of the upper floors won't be used in the Global Shop floors, but can be used as storage/etc. by store owners.

The Global Shop will be constructed on one city block, consisting of different buildings featuring different goods:

• General Store - Basic Goods
  • Grocery Store - Foodstuffs
  • Nursery - Agricultural items
  • Craft Shop - Dye Items
  • Apothecary - Enchanting Items
  • Bank - Diamond, Ores, and other commodities
  • Black Market - Difficult to obtain or unobtainable goods (gunpowder, lava, records, etc.)

Player Shops

Ideally, I would like player shops in Capitol City to be around the same area as the Global Shop and with the same style. Suggested guidelines are as follows:

• Plot size of 20x30 (roughly)
  • Adjoining walls to side-by-side buildings, with small alley in back (2-3 blocks)
  • Ground and basement floor stylized as a store
  • First floors and up stylized as apartments/homes
  • Height of 4-6 floors

Obviously anyone can choose their own styling, but I think it would make for a pretty damn cool marketplace district if we did it this way!

Downtown Capitol City

Downtown Capitol will be roughly centered around Capitol Lake, mostly east and west of it. This is the area where the city's tallest skyscrapers and densest area will be. People will be given relatively large plots, but be expected to build high and build dense. The obvious inspirations for this are Midtown Manhattan in NYC (picture here), Wacker Drive in Chicago ([img=http://jayshoudisart.com/images/Wacker%20Drive%20Skyline-800.jpg]picture here[/img]), and pretty much everywhere in Hong Kong (picture here).

There are no real limitations here, except that you pretty much need to build on the whole plot (no big yards or anything like that...there are other areas for that). Like I said, there's no place for this "grass" stuff in Capitol City!

Other Districts

Besides these two districts, the others are fairly wide-open right now. I am planning on an industrial district on the Southern side of the city (due South of Capitol Lake). As far as player homes, you can take up residence in one of the main districts, or if you want more room in a suburbanlike atmosphere, there will be areas on the sides of the city to do that. I am aiming for the city to have a large center with tons of skyscrapers, the business stuff to the north, industry to the south, and the smaller buildings on the sides to round out the city. I believe it will make for a realistic looking place with a great looking skyline.

Highways

Right now, I am only planning on 5 highways so far. One will be a loop highway roughly around Capitol Lake, with four highways heading out from the North, South, East, and West of the city. I will plan out where the highways go and connect to other towns as they are founded.

Public Transit

Subways will now be above-ground trains, similar to the train system in Chicago. The trains will run above ground along highways and will be connected to towns in this way. I'll get more details regarding the trains as time goes on.

Future Expansion

I will potentially expand Capitol City if needed, but I think the area I claimed is plenty big for now. The most I might claim is a bit farther North into the extreme hills a bit or a bit South to take advantage of further plains.
EagleRock
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Return to Capitol City