New User Recruitment

Got a suggestion for the server, the forum, or the FAQs? Post it here!

Moderator: Minecraft Admins

What do you think of this idea?

I think this is perfect. I agree 100%!
100%
This is pretty good, but I think some small suggestions will make it better.
No votes
This could work, but it would need a lot of change-up.
No votes
This really isn't that good of an idea.
No votes
This is horrible. This would never work!
No votes

Total votes : 6

New User Recruitment

Postby EagleRock » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:06 pm

Handling New Users on Eagleworld

I think it's safe to say that the old method of filtering out users worked well, but was very admin-intensive and required a large amount of time from me specifically on the matter. I ultimately want to make it easier for new players to join, but still have a high trial level to ensure that the players on this server are the quality we want. So, let me take you through the steps of a new user joining Eagleworld:

User connects to the Survival Server

First off, they find our server through advertising, which will be done when the server goes live. The user will be allowed to connect to the server without a whitelist and look around Aquilia, the main map. This is where the towns, buildings, etc. will be.

When they join, they are given Guest rank, which restricts them from building. They will have the opportunity to look around a bit, warp around, talk with some of the players, etc. If they decide they wish to join, they will ask a moderator or an admin (not just admins) for the ability to join. If there are no mods/admins on at the time, they will be able to register and make a request on the Help Desk to gain membership.

When the user demonstrates on the thread or on the server that he/she has read the rules and agrees to follow them, a mod/admin will grant them Initiate rights on the server.

Initiate Trial

Once the user has Initiate rank, they will be allowed to go to the Vitalia map, the mining map. There they will need to complete their trial membership before applying for full membership. They will be allowed to gather resources and build in the mining map, and any resources they get during the trial they will get to keep if they become a full member. They will need to do the following to complete their trial:

Read the blog and learn the rules/policies, as well as how to play on the server

The blog will contain the list of rules/policies, as well as what plugins are around and basic steps on how to use them. This includes how to protect chests from theft and doors from unwanted entry, as well as how to use the leveing plugin (like MCMMO), the economy plugins, and Towny.

Build a starter home

They first need to find an uninhabited spot to gather resources and build a home. The home doesn't need to be fancy, but it does need to be a complete shelter, with light, a bed, a door, and a roof. Other embellishments are optional, but not necessary for the trial. The home needs to have at least one chest (single or double) in it. Next to (or inside) the home they need to make a very basic mine to show they know how to safely gather resources (e.g. not digging a 1x1 block straight down).

The user also will need to demonstrate their ability to use the server plugins to protect their items. They will need to protect their door from entry, as well as protect their chest from other users getting into it.

Apply for membership

Once they've read the blog enough to understand the server and have completed their starter home, they need to apply for membership in the forums. A mod/admin will review what they've done and see if they are fit for membership. If so, they are granted Apprentice rights.

Apprenticeship

Once a user is an apprentice, they are allowed to build on Aquilia, and be part of the Eagleworld proper. They have access to the economy plugins, MCMMO (or other leveling plugin), and have the ability to protect their buildings. They are not yet allowed to join a town, however. They are allowed to keep their starter house and use it as a mining base, or can choose to tear it down, abandon it, etc.

They cannot join a town right away, but are encouraged to go around and see the available towns and decide where they want to join. Mayors can encourage the player to join their town, but aren't allowed to let them do so until they are a full Builder.

Builder Rank

After a few days (e.g. 4-7 days), they will be eligible to be promoted to Builder, where they will gain further rights, are allowed to set up a player shop, and are allowed to join a town. At this stage, they are considered to be a full member on Eagleworld.

Please let me know what you think by voting on this idea. If you like or don't like something in particular, please comment and let me know why. If you have better ideas on how to run the server, feel free to share them. Thanks!
EagleRock
Head Administrator
Head Administrator

Re: New User Recruitment

Postby Radio » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 pm

I like the idea of showing knowledge of the plugins. Kinda opens up the more ignorant to a broader range of possibilities.
Radio
Survivin' the Night
Survivin' the Night

Return to Suggestion Box