It's about time, right? The whitelist is off, the server is updated, time to par-tay!
I'm going to keep this post as short as possible, so we can all get to playing:
Here's the mods I went with:
- Tekkit (ALL mods enabled!)
- Essentials (for all the warps and stuff we're used to)
- LWC (protect your chests)
- CoreProtect (rollbacks and anti-griefing)
- Dynmap (yes, we still have Dynmap! and this time, no chat spamming!)
- EssentialsEco (not yet configured, but it's installed)
- ChestShops (coming soon!)
Updates to the Rules/Policies
- The rules are chopped down and simplified
- The policies of the server are DRASTICALLY reduced and relaxed in the interest of fun
- Server ranks still offer prestige and status, but now most features are available, even to Builders
- There are no longer restriction on only building in towns, and TownyMod is no longer around. We can do towns on our own without the plugin!
Changes to the Server Economy
- iConomy is substituted for the more stable and updated EssentialsEco
- Annoying commands are gone, in favor of ChestShops
- The Global Shop no longer trades everything in favor of Equivalent Exchange
- There will be a National Bank in Capitol City that trades metals, gems, etc.
- Trading with the National Bank will only give you a slight penalty in value as opposed to before
- Your Talons (basically your bank account) will now generate interest!
- The economy plugins are NOT SET UP YET, but will be soon once the server is in full swing!
What you need to do to join:
- Download and run the Technic Launcher at www.technicpack.net
- Select "Tekkit" from the drop down, log in, and connect to the server at delorean.eagleworld.net
- Get re-added by an admin (I will be on as much as I can, at least on the console)
- Find a place to build (preferably away from spawn, as Capitol City will go there)
- Use "/dynmap webregister" if you wish to be able to use the dynamic map
- Have FUN! There is a lot to do with Tekkit, so enjoy!
Just another quick update to keep everyone in the loop. I've been working on the server the last few days, trying out the various mods and plugins that are part of the Tekkit mod. So far, I really like what I see. I think this adds so much to the game that it really can't be ignored at this point. So far, reception has been extremely positive. However, I still need people to help test! The map we're using right now is not going to be saved, so there is no harm in playing around with the mods and seeing what's good and what is not. If you want to join and have not been whitelisted yet, all you have to do is ask me! You can do it however you like (AIM, Twitter, Facebook, a blog comment, etc.).
So I've decided what plugins we were used to have been staying/going so far:
- Tekkit Mod Bundle (includes IndustrialCraft, BuildCraft, ComputerCraft, RedPower, and more)
- Esssentials (for warps, kits, protections, and all that fun stuff)
- GroupManager (for permissions)
- CoreProtect (for anti-griefing protection ala BigBrother or HawkEye)
- LWC (for chest protection)
Plugins that will NOT be installed
- TownyMod (no need for it anymore, really...if mobs become a huge issue I can use WorldGuard or just disable them entirely)
- CreativeStick (new plugins and Creative Mode supercede its abilities)
- MultiWorld (I'm sticking to one world for simplicity and lack of worry about updating)
- WorldEdit (hell, with all this Tekkit crap, who needs it?)
- iConomy (I am trying to avoid an economy this time, but Essentials has its own economy if needed)
- BetterShop (Essentials provides chest shops if needed)
- LocalShops (Essentials provides chest shops if needed)
Plugins I have not made judgement calls on yet:
- Dynmap (I'd like to do this, but only if it's not too much of a pain in the ass...a Dynmap-free server is better than no server at all)
- EssentialsEco (Essentials' Economy program - includes all we need for the economy, but I feel like the Tekkit mods provide what's needed for this...IndustrialCraft even has a recipe for coins!)
Things we need to test
The big thing I'm concerned about is the ability for the big four Tekkit plugins to work, now that I have GroupManager installed and locking down the server. I do not know if I have configured it correctly to bypass the no-guest-build security. Please test the following:
- IndustrialCraft automining
- ComputerCraft automining (especially the turtles)
- BuildCraft's ability to move stuff around (especially with pipes)
If there are problems, please let me know. I may have to make these plugins have OP privileges to the server, which I would really like to avoid. But, if necessary, I'll do it.
Anyway, keep up with the suggestion and comments...looking forward to what you have to offer to Eagleworld!
LONG POST WARNING: Sorry, folks. Got a lot to say, and want to keep everyone in the loop. If you just want to get started testing to get ideas going, you can skip the "New Server Ideas" section, really. It's just my rough ideas for the future.
So I listened to the ideas I got so far, and I'm glad I did so...I was directed to look at Tekkit by Runninghobo and EG_SpaceNinja, and so far I'm completely blown away. I had no idea about this mod conglomeration, and I think it's a great direction to go. Is it any wonder why I love my mods and admins? (If you're the idiot looking for a "no homo" after that, grow up...lol)
Testing out Tekkit
So, I've set up a temporary Tekkit server so I try out mods and test out configurations. The server is located at delorean.eagleworld.net:25566. It runs on an older version of minecraft (1.2.3 I think), but it uses its own launcher chock-full of goodies (mini maps, the successor to Too Many Items, etc.). If you wanted to run the latest version of vanilla Minecraft, it can run side-by-side with Tekkit with absolutely NO conflict. This will allow people to test out their new stuff and not screw around with their server experience!
The test server is currently whitelisted, but if you wish to join and test, just ask! You can ask me pretty much anywhere: a comment on the blog, Twitter, Facebook, e-mail, text message, any way you can get ahold of me. If you were a former member of the server, and you're still reading this blog, that's pretty much all I need. I will whitelist requests as I get them and let people play around. To do so, however, you need the Technic Launcher, which you can get at http://www.technicpack.net/. Just like Minecraft, it works on Windows, Mac, or Linux, and lets you play Minecraft in a whole new bunch of ways. Just make sure to select "Tekkit" on the dropdown on the left before you put in your Minecraft credentials.
New Server Ideas
So, continuing on with all of the changes I'm making to Eagleworld, let's talk about the things I want to keep the same:
- Hourly map backups for total rollback capabilities (my scripts still work fine).
- Essentials Plugin for basic protections from creepers, and griefing
- Some Big Brother/HawkEye - like plugin for admins/mods to use to protect against griefing
- Some map plugin - maps are cool.
- Some method to get all the items you want, whether it is by the economy or some other plugin
The good news is that Tekkit actually has built in ways to get all the stuff you want, but doesn't use an economy for it. I'm debating putting the economy back in, but if I do, I might just end up using the built-in economy that Essentials provides (BOSEconomy), and using a chest-based shop, rather than a command-based one.
So what will be different?
- Towny is most likely going away - I don't believe it's necessary anymore, save for in-town creature protections. I'll try to find some other way to handle that that doesn't require such bloat.
- Besides Tekkit, Essentials, and server protections, mods will be kept to a minimum to make upgrades easier. That doesn't mean I don't want suggestions, though! If I feel a plugin really will add to the server, I will most definitely add it. But I am definitely going for server longevity here and ease of upgrade.
So what will the rules be like?
- Server will still be admin-approval only. I believe quality of users as opposed to quantity will help. We will advertise, but requirements for joining will be high as always.
- No-tolerance griefing will still be in effect. Rather than have all these regulations and shit, one time fuck-up and you go. Keeps everyone in line and nobody has to worry about their stuff.
- Rules will be a lot simpler - I created a rule pretty much every time something bad happened, and it added up. We'll make it simpler.
- Ranks will still be around to give everyone a sense of accomplishment as they move forward on the server, but I will try to make it so everyone pretty much can do what they want, regardless of rank. Thankfully, a lot of the stuff everyone want to do (like flying) can be done in Tekkit; it just requires some effort to do. For example, you can fly now with Jet Packs...which is way more fun to me than using Creative Mode, anyway!
- Other than that, the server will be pretty much free to do whatever, as long as it doesn't hurt someone else or isn't using common sense. For example, building your shit next to someone else (unless they are okay with it) is being a dick, and not using common sense. But rather than memorizing rules and all that, we'll take things case-by-case.
So what happens to towns?
- Still build 'em if you want...or build by yourself. Whatever. No more rules and crap on that. It made things very un-fun.
- If you want to build a town, just space it away a little bit from other towns. Leave room for expansion. Common sense.
- Just make sure you move away from Capitol a bit before you start. I'm planning on building a lot there (for everyone on the server), so I'd like to have some space to grow.
Speaking of Capitol, I'm planning on letting everyone build something there...just let me have a say in what or where. I want to plan on having districts again (so all the power plants and industry is in one place, all the high-rise towers in another, and the small homes in yet another, all with the spawn and government buildings in the center). I want to have the first place everyone sees on the server to be large, organized, and impressive.
If I do it right this time, we will have a great spawn point, as less time will be spent screwing around with the server. But, I want to make it fun and enjoyable for all...without excessive rules and all that. I'm setting my goals lower in terms of player count. I'd rather have 10 dedicated players that all fun to be around and enjoy themselves than try to get 50 players, half of whom rarely play and some of which can't be trusted.
I still want more ideas from you guys. If you need to join the server and play around with Tekkit to get some, just ask! Just remember the test server is in fact a test server...it will definitely go away. Do with it what you want...but again, just be nice to others. I'll keep everyone posted on how far I get with the build and all that. Cheers!
So, it happened. Eagleworld went down. It was running for almost 700 days, but it fell victim to a power outage on July 31st.
Thankfully, not for long, though. I was on vacation in South Carolina at the time, so I wasn't around to power the server back up. The server shut down gracefully thanks to my UPS, and Delorean's data is 100% safe.
If you want more details on the server outage, check my main blog post here.
I don't want to start up the Minecraft server as yet, as I am still doing things with the OS to get everything copasetic (rebuilding disk arrays, performing stress tests, etc). However, I really want to invest my time in working towards rebuilding my Minecraft server fresh.
So why did I stop working on the server so long? Simple: it got too damn hard to do. I had a lot of things going on in my life. Between a divorce, medical issues, problems with my family, and a new girlfriend, time devoted to Minecraft was a minimum as it was. And with Minecraft changing so much so quickly, and with the plugins Eagleworld uses falling into such disarray, it was damn near impossible to keep her running without investing way more time than I had, and honestly, way more time than I wanted to devote.
However, I do love Minecraft, and thanks to a lack of Internet connection when I was on vacation in South Carolina, I spent a good amount of time playing single-player Minecraft during my downtime. Loved it, too. It really reminded me of why I played Minecraft in the first place and motivated me to rebuild Eagleworld.
So, now what?
Well, if I'm going to start over, doing it completely seems the way to do it, and I really do mean completely. The reason I stopped working on it in the first place was because my server's design was based on plugins back when Minecraft was still in Alpha Hey0's Mod was the server wrapper of choice. If I'm going to rebuild it and be able to keep it going this time, I really have to change my plan up.
So, I'm going to restructure and rebuild a new Eagleworld based on the current release of Minecraft, with the current release of Minecraft in mind. Change of rules, change of plugins, change of server focus...everything. But if I'm going to do that, I need your help.
I want 'em, folks! I want to know what it is that kept you coming to Eagleworld, and what it is you don't like. I can tell you right now that I'm going to keep the goal of security and safety of all of your work. I know that was what made Eagleworld work in the past, and I'm sure it will keep it going in the future. I know the rules were extremely strict and they need to be changed and simplified, so I will want your help with that too. I can tell you that getting divorced and starting my life over has sure has hell made me more laid back (and a hell of a lot happier, too), and I'm sure that'll be heavily reflected in how I run my server. But I can't build a server community by myself. That's where you come in.
So, I'd love to hear from you all! I'll probably start up a basic vanilla server soon just to have a place to meet up and goof around, but I want to rebuild this thing properly, with all of your help. And don't worry about all of your work...all the maps are safe and I'd like to do with them what everyone considers best, whether that is keeping it in-server, having another server completely, or just posting the map files, or whatever. So let me know! Thanks, everyone!